Wednesday 1 May 2013

I talked back to NY1



I was listening to NY1 yesterday morning, the 24-hour cable news station for New York, which is owned by the NY Times. The announcer referred to the Jason Collins story by saying that Collins had ‘admitted’ he was gay. That set me off, so instead of merely ranting at the TV, I wrote an email to the station. This was it:

> To: News tips and corrections
> From: Tim Frasca
> E-mail: tfrasca@yahoo.com
> Comment: Dear Pat Carroll: Jason Collins did not "admit" he was gay, he "announced" it. You admit to something you did wrong. Do you "admit" to being married to a woman?

To my surprise and delight, I got this reply an hour later:

Thank you for your email. You are absolutely correct. The story is being changed.

Dan Jacobson
News Director

Talking back to the television is hardly novel. But to have it answer! That's very cool. And answer politely?! Remarkable.

2 comments:

Iain said...

Good one.

Anonymous said...

rintryHiEveryday in every way. I applaud your activism. After all, it's your airways, too.