Wednesday 2 January 2013

How to denounce


More to digest on the fiscal-non-cliff non-deal later, but first let’s review some bracing rhetoric emitted an hour ago by New Jersey governor Chris Christie on Congress’s failure to pass the Hurricane Sandy relief bill:

‘Shame on you, Congress’.

‘If the people of New Jersey feel betrayed by what happened last night, then they have good company, I’m with them’.

‘We’ve got people down there who use the citizens of this country as the pawns on a chessboard. Our people were played last night as a pawn. That’s why people hate Washington DC. Last night, my party was responsible for this’.

‘I won’t get into my conversation with the Speaker, but I will tell you there’s no reason to believe anything they say’.

Asked if he would campaign against Republicans who stopped the Sandy aid bill, Christie replied:

‘We’ll see. Primaries are an ugly thing’.

Interpretation by The Guardian: ‘Nice majority you’ve got there. Shame if anything should happen to it’.

As to whether John Boehner should be re-elected speaker, Christie said:

‘I’m not a member of the House, I don’t get a vote. I don’t care’.

Translation: No.

Conclusion: Christie has now placed himself to the left of Barack Obama on the issue of Republican obstructionism, who wouldn’t be caught dead even THINKING rude thoughts of this sort.


No comments: