Wednesday 19 March 2008

TMI

We just dumped our governor and don’t lament his departure for more than just his terminal hypocrisy. So it would have been nice to welcome in the new guy without hearing about his extra-marital affairs.

For some reason that goes beyond the peculiarly morbid-puritanical proclivities of our own fifth estate, incoming Gov. David Paterson felt that he needed to fill us in about being estranged from his wife, what he did about it and her solace-seeking measures as well.

Who said we have to know all that? Did he simultaneously denounce people for adultery? Is he campaining on a Home-Hearth-Fatherland ticket? Did he prosecute prostitution rings?

If not, who cares? What does his private sexual behavior have to do with anything? Furthermore, I for one DO NOT WISH TO KNOW. I would like to observe my state governor from afar and remain blissfully ignorant of where he is putting it and why. I yearn to contemplate those making state policy in terms other than those applied to Angeline Jolie or Tom Cruise.

In short, I would like them, in the exercise of their public personae, to keep their clothes on. I promise to do the same.

No comments: