Thursday 11 September 2008

One year of Biped Twilight

As I just finished the New York Century 100-mile bicycle ride, this week marks the end of the first year of this blog. Very few people have made comments here, and please don’t be offended when I say I am glad. Those few responses have been thoughtful. But I have seen how many blogs fill up with endless harangues that are as tiresome as a barstool argument among drunks as well as occasionally slanderous and vile. Which is not to say that I wouldn’t read them if they appeared here. However, as it stands I don’t have to. Good.

If I felt more energetic, perhaps I would make some attempts to attract a wider readership, come what may. For personal reasons that is not in the cards right now. Nonetheless, it seems an appropriate moment at this one-year mark to ask who out there is reading what I have to say. I know some and I suspect most of you personally, and you kindly offer your reactions and comments in emails and telephone calls.

However, just for fun I would like to ask of those of you who visit this site regularly or from time to time to write me an email at the account associated with this blog (tfrasca@gmail.com) and tell me something about why—a tiny little unscientific poll of those of you tuning in to Biped Twilight.

As for the Century ride, it was stunning once again: the winds and rains of Tropical Storm Hanna had blown out to the Atlantic, and the air was fresh and autumnal. My friend John and I lost the trail at one point and added five or six miles to our route, but we still pulled into the Harlem finish line at 5.30, a half-hour before closing time. My knees were wobbly on the subway stairs for two days afterward; otherwise, all body parts survived intact. Can’t wait to do it again next year.

No comments: